By Marci G. Fox, Ph.D.
Reaching for goals is an important part of strengthening self-confidence. It helps shape and update how you define yourself while at the same time helping you add to your sense of accomplishment. Here are some key tips to remember.
• It's important to break down an overall goal into smaller, measureable steps. To be clear on how to reach your goal, it helps to write down each step.
• Once you have defined the steps, schedule each step into your planner so you know when you're going to make it happen. Saying you will do is not enough. Putting it on your calendar means you intend to it and it is more likely you will.
• You can gain confidence simply by taking action towards your goal even if you don't get the result you were looking for. Keep in mind that success is in the doing and not necessarily the result.
• Give yourself credit for taking action even if you need to ask for help or it is a struggle.
• Take the credit you deserve. Don't diminish your accomplishment by looking at all you haven't done or all that is left to do.
• Continuing to add goals, regardless of how small or large, provides you the opportunity to update the way you see yourself and grow confidence.